PHP formerly known as Personal Home Pages is a server side scripting language, used to develop static or Dynamic websites or web applications. PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-processor. PHP scripts can only be interpreted on a server that has PHP installed. PHP code maybe fix into HTML or as a combination with various web template systems, web content management system & web frameworks.
Why to use PHP?
* PHP is a free & open source
* Comes with short learning curve as compared to other languages like ASP, JSP, etc.
* Is a large community document.
* It is a server side scripting language, i.e. only a web browser would be enough.
* It has inbuilt server for working hand in hand with MySQLs
* PHP can be used with other database management systems such as Postgres, Oracle, ODBC, etc.
* PHP is cross platform, i.e. you can deploy your application on various operating systems like windows, Linux, MAC, OS, etc.